Am I boring? When did that happen?


Recently I have fallen into a rut, it's as if all the life energy (and words) are being sucked from my body by some evil flying one eyed purple monkey. I spend mindless hours staring at a blank screen, only to become so intimidated that I walk away having written nothing at all. It's almost as if I woke up one morning and the funny was gone, and the only thing that lingered was a boring, wordless shell...

Am I really this boring? ... This has been running through my mind for days, as I try to dig myself out of writers block hell. Today, while trying to find a way out of this rut, I sat googling complete randomness hoping to find inspiration... One of the many things I googled was "Am I boring?" And from that I stumbled upon This quiz a sort of personality quiz that asks you only to mark statements you feel are true of yourself. I must at admit that the results for me where pretty much dead on (most of the time anyway) stating

"You are a fairly interesting person. Many people find you to be intriguing.
You have a dynamic, adventurous life... a life that others envy.

You are genuinely interested in and open to the world.
You love making new friends, and you're always up for an unusual experience.

Like everyone else, you can get a bit boring from time to time. That's normal.
But unlike everyone else, you can pull yourself out of a rut. You don't stay boring for long"

However, the last part "you can pull yourself out of a rut" really shocked me, especially right now when I seem to be stuck... It's like quick sand, and I keep sinking deeper and deeper. Perhaps it is the mundane repetitiveness of my current daily life. I mean aside from our recent move nothing exciting is exactly taking place in my life right now, and my days are more than somewhat routine... Cook, clean, cook again, clean some more, do some laundry, and there just isn't any excitement and certainly no humor

I hope this rut goes away soon, or at least I figure out why I am in it... What about you? Have you ever been in a rut so deep that you didn't know how to dig yourself out? What causes you to be in a rut (or a funk)? How do you get over it, and get out of the whole without sinking into the sand.

Comments

  1. Every couple of months.. I get there.. I fall into my own personal darkness.

    And, I struggle with it... I withdraw, or I lash out...

    I feel like it is endless...


    And then, I find my light, I find that regardless of how I feel right at that moment, that the sun will rise in the morning.. and that time will move on... And that I will be better... a little bit more every day.


    You can find that light too.
    Just look for it.. it's within you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that....

      Honestly I sort of feel like since August 9, 2011 I have been in a funk, there has been so many bad/hard things occur since the day my son left this life, that I feel I am struggling to find me, but slowly I am finding my way day by day.

      It is if I am rediscovering myself and who I really am, and your words of encouragement mean so much

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you need a Secret Subject Swap.

    I don't know if this makes you feel better to let you know you're not alone, but a LOT of my blogging friends and I have been discussing this lately. We're all seeing page views go down a little, we hope because it's summer and kids are home and people are busy. But with the slump in page views, we all seem to find that we're in writing slumps too. Anyway, it's not just you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to do a secret subject swap (or a few) it seems that lately I can write so much better when someone is telling me what to write about... The creativity in my brain is currently on hiatus

      Thank you for letting me know its not just me, I was beginning to feel like maybe I had already lost my ability to write anything at all worth reading lol.

      Delete
  3. You can do it! You can get out of this rut! (Does that help motivate you?) And you're not boring. If you were boring, no one would read your blog. You'll get out of the rut. Don't push it or force it. It will come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the motivation, and also for the encouraging words. I think I am finally starting to find my words, and come out of my rut a little. Sometimes I just need to chill for a little while. Thank you again.

      Delete
  4. Ruts seem to happen to all of us, whether we are writers or not. I can remember plenty of times when my life was changing every day, and yet I still felt like I was drifting, or fighting so hard to be exciting and interesting again. Maybe it's a woman thing, but it happens to me about once every three or four months. As I tell people about marriage, it's not the big crises that you can't handle, it's the day-to-day stuff that will bring you to your knees. You are definitely not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is a woman things, because I know that personally I often face phases when I just feel so uncreative, unproductive, and just overall blah. I think perhaps I am finally starting to find my words again (oddly enough I think having a laptop again helped) either way, I think I am finally starting to find my way out of the rut, and hopefully I will continue to dig myself out more and more.

      Delete

Post a Comment