More questions, and a few answers

Well since my last post, I have been asked a lot of questions, mostly ones regarding my upcoming surgery. To say I did not expect this many surgery questions, is a tad of an understatement. However, since the questions began, I have been researching, reading, and asking plenty of my own questions in order to be able to hopefully answers some of the many questions that others have asked me.

I think I have done more research in the last month, then I have done since Boogie was born 10 years ago. Fortunately the internet is a wealth of information, and even more fortunately I found a great support group which is a wealth of positive information.

Through the constant phone calls to my doctors office, and endless hours of reading, I believe I have learned more about Hysterectomy then any average 29 year old should ever know... I feel as if I am slowly becoming some what of an expert on the subject. Not sure yet if that is a good thing, or a bad thing but none the less the information is in my head now, so there isn't much I can do about it if it perhaps is indeed a bad thing... Can't unread what has already been read.

So now the mission is to hopefully answer some of the surgery questions I have been asked recently.

What type of hysterectomy are you having: I am having a radical abdominal hysterectomy. A radical hysterectomy is more extensive than other  hysterectomies, being as more is removed, surgery is longer, and recovery time is longer... The abdominal part means that I will be cut hip bone to hip bone, fortunately I have had 4 previous C-sections, and the Dr. will use my old C-section incision for this surgery.

How long will you be in the hospital?: I will be in the hospital somewhere between 3-6 days depending on how smoothly surgery goes, and how well I am doing... With all 4 of my C-sections I was in the hospital 3 days, and although this surgery is more extensive, I am hoping and praying for no more than 3-4 days in the hospital, although will be prepared for a longer admission just in case it is needed.

What is your total recovery time?: Based on what I have been told by told by my Dr. total recovery time is approximately 8 weeks. However, my initial recovery will  be a minimum of two weeks. I have been told that I will not be allowed to do anything other than shower, rest, and some walking for a full 14 days post surgery. Apparently even simply things like bending and stretching are not allowed for the first 14 days. My Dr has strictly told me no cooking, cleaning, picking up, standing for long periods, and no lifting anything over 3 pounds... However after the initial 2 weeks, I will be allowed to slowly start doing things such as very light cleaning, walking more, cooking, etc. However no heavy lifting, driving, and a few other things are allowed for a full 6 weeks...

In other words I am going to have to learn to slow down like it or not. Anyone who knows me knows that I am NOT good with sitting still and doing nothing. It is not like me to relax, and not be on the go all the time. I have a big feeling that boredom is going to kick in quickly for me, and I am hoping that perhaps I will have a lot of visitors (especially during the first two weeks) to help keep my mind busy and keep boredom from kicking in.


Do you need/ will you have help?: I am horrible at asking for, or accepting help, but in this situation I am going to have to push my pride aside, and be grateful for any help that is offered to me, especially since I am apparently going to be pretty much bed bound for about two weeks.. I have had some amazing people who have offered help with child care, meals, and even some light cleaning. Those are all things I can foresee really needing help with and I am more grateful than words can even express for any and all help given.

Are you  scared/ nervous about the surgery?:  Yes of course I am nervous, it is a major surgery with a rather long recovery time. I am nervous about the surgery itself, I am nervous about the hospital stay, and I am extremely nervous about the recovery period once I return home, but I have faith that I will make it through it. As I mentioned in the question above, I am going to have to learn to accept the help of others. I honestly feel that I am most nervous about being at the mercy of others, but I have faith I am in good hands, and that I will be taken care of from start to finish.

Well I think that is it for the second round of questions. I suspect there will continue to be more questions through out this entire ordeal, and I am open to them all.
As for right now, I am just focusing on getting prepared, staying calm, spending time with my kids, and having as much fun as humanly possible.

Comments