True Happiness... Can we achieve it, and where can we find it??

"True Happiness" lately I have been told by many well meaning people to find that things in life that make me truly happy, and do them. But, I am beginning to wonder if "True happiness" is even attainable. I mean it seems to be that happiness in and of itself is a pretty complex theory.

 If you really think about it, where is happiness or better yet, "true happiness" even derived from? Sure, people are often happy when things are going their way, or good things are happening, but what about all those times when things aren't going your way at all? What about the times when things are just downright bad? Often I wonder if we as humans aren't simply confusing happiness with pleasure. I mean sure it pleases us when things are going right, and good things are happening, but does that mean we are truly happy? Are we confusing our pleasure or instant gratification for happiness? If so then what will happen when things begin to fall apart, or bad things begin to rain down on us like boulders?

  The entire human race has one thing in common, every day of our lives we strive for improvement. We always want to do better, be better, or have more. We constantly strive for a promotion, bigger home, respect of others, etc. However, quiet frankly, some of these things will always be just out of our reach, and we will fail at trying to achieve them. Does that mean perhaps that"true happiness" itself is entirely unattainable?

  What if  a person had nothing, was alone, naked, homeless. Do you think that person could be truly happy? Also, if a person is happy when things are going right, does this mean they are a happy person? If a person shows unhappiness or general dislike for the bad times, or gets upset when things do not go their way, does that mean they are destined to be unhappy people or live unhappy lives?

The human race is in the constant pursuit of happiness, but does any one of us, even know what true and genuine happiness is? This question has endless possibilities for the answers that could be given. However, no one answer is right, and no one answer wrong. So if there is no right or wrong answer who can determine happiness, or better yet who can determine who is happy and who is not? With this theory, honestly who can even determine or measure their own happiness?

As I said, the theory of Happiness is in and of itself a very complex theory. Even the dictionary, has no clear definition, defining happiness as a feeling of joy. Most people have a list of things that bring them joy, but does that mean that these are happy people, and what of the people who have no list, surely these people are not destined to a miserable existence?

So is "True Happiness" even attainable? I believe that it is, but I also believe that so many people are looking for it in all the wrong places that perhaps they will never find it. Finding Happiness is like playing peek a boo with a two year old who has the attention spam of a fly, not entirely impossible, but extremely difficult. I believe that the road to "True Happiness" begins with deep self examination. Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe that in order to find happiness, a person must decide if they are truly happy, or just confused. And that leads me to where I am.... CONFUSED!!!!!!!

  It seems as though the concept of happiness is a never ending circle. A person could go round and round with questions and answers and still never feel more informed nor less confused than they were when they began their journey.

So as you may of guessed (or noticed) my mind is without a doubt a whirlwind of questions that seem to have no answers, and I am truly feeling lost and confused....

Oh happiness.... Where are you???

Comments

  1. Kimbra......I can certainly feel your confusion hun. But, until I really grew to know God, I struggled with the same confusion about finding happiness. Just my thoughts here, I don't think we, humans, ever find true happiness until we seek God's face and His will for our lives. Happiness is a choice. Yes, I do believe that a person without anything in this world can have all the happiness in the world. Only if they know God.....I love you kiddo and you sure do write good blogs and raise some very interesting and good questions....hang in there and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lisa... when I started seeking peace & happiness [I was a big drunk(and chronically situation-ally depressed) back in the day] I went to AA...they had these promises posted on the wall: "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development[the 12 steps], we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
    Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them."
    So here I am, 6 and a half years later, knowing these promises are true, and the important part of their fulfillment is not the 12 steps at all...But it comes from in spiritual principles like honesty, openmindedness & willingness; fellowship, and most importantly it is in a growing relationship with Jesus. I was so sad, depressed, hopeless, but I went to those meetings and they told me I had to find God if I wanted to be happy, so I started that faith walk...it's gotten better & better, although in the very beginning happy times were few & far between--that's what made it a faith walk, I guess. I can tell you are on one, too, a walk of faith with our Savior & I am happy for you! It's going to get better & better. I've made progress, never achieving perfection. And that's ok with me :) Idk, that's just my story... Love ya <3 Blessings & hope to my friend :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment