Toddlers say that darnest things

So far the youngest spawn has successfully made it over 3 years without saying or doing something that completely mortified me and made me want to run away in utter embarrassment. Today, that streak sadly ended. When I picked my son up from daycare this afternoon he proudly declared that he had a good day, and then proceeded to tell me every detail of the toys he played with and the food he ate, everything was going well.

That is until we were sitting in the car pick up line (which is pure torture all on it's own)  waiting to pick sister up from school. The windows were down as I was attempting to enjoy the semi warm weather we have had today. The toddler was in the back seat thoroughly entertained by the strings on the knees of his pants. That's when it happened... My toddler - who unfortunately has an attention span much like my own, looks up from those strings on his pants, and screams (loud and proud for all the world to hear) "Wow mom, that's a fat chic"  I have no idea where it came from or where he even heard such a thing (mental note - quit referring to myself as the fat chic in front of the 3 year old) but there it was, he had said it, and yes every parent standing outside was looking directly at my car. I could feel my cheeks turning red with embarrassment, and it was at that very moment I declared that my tiniest spawn was no longer my favorite.

Ugh! I guess it is time for me to make mental inventory of my vocabulary,  and make certain to spell things like "fat chic" when I refer to the 20 pounds I recently put on or the fact that my clothes no longer fit... I guess every toddler has their day, but dang not only has he taken all the fun away from my colorful vocabulary he has also destroyed self criticism.  I think some payback is in order. yup, I think I will definitely be skimping on the chocolate in his next cup of chocolate milk!

Comments

  1. That's still funny though. but then again is embarrassing. No chocolate in his milk. oh no....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beyond embarrassing, but he is loud mouthed just like his momma so no one to blame but me LOL!

      Delete
    2. I got a concern that I'd like to speak to you about. If you dont mind. Email me please. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. My now 7 1/2 year old nephew made a similar comment a couple years ago when he and I were hanging out in New York. Once he saw my face (because my face always gives away what I'm thinking, lol), he knew he was in for it. Once we were a good distance away, I did talk to him about hurting people's feelings with unkind comments. But I will say in his defense, the woman WAS on the large side. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things kids say, they are always brutally honest, with pretty much everything they say, it is not until they get older that they learn to be more censored, honestly I am not sure if that is a good thing or not

    ReplyDelete
  4. I died laughing, I love little kids, they're to funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are honest for sure, and once the embarrassment left, I had to laugh myself :)

      Delete
  5. Hey! My blogger name is Kateri Von Steal, I write at:
    www.katerivonstealsnewlife.blogspot.com

    And, I had to giggle at this one.
    My son, who is now six, says the weirdest things.

    Recently, I have been changing my lifestyle, and eating healthier... working out too. And, I have been "watching my calories".

    Long story short.
    We were in the grocery store, and he picks up a package of Oreo's.
    "Mama, this isn't good, 1-4-0 calories. That's too many. Not getting these."

    My son.. is a tall SKINNY boy... People in the cookie aisle GLARED at me. I swear. Beet Red. I was BEET RED.
    "Stop doing that! You're a skinny STRING BEAN KID.. Mama, has to lose weight. NOT YOU!"
    Damage was already done though.

    Oh the joys of being a working, quasi-single mother of the weirdest boy EVER.

    I love your blog... Can't wait to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and for that story. Kids are crazy for sure and I think many times there purpose in life is to embarrass us parents. I will be following you as well

      Delete

Post a Comment