Becoming a writer... Fullfiling lifes dream

From as far back as I can remember I have loved to write. I can remember as a child making up fictional short stories, and then subjecting every single person I came in contact with to the torture of listening to my long drawn out, and extremely over detailed stories.

As a teenager I discovered my love for poetry, and would often receive requests from friends to write poems for them to give to their boyfriend/girlfriend, or that pertained to issues that were going on in their lives at the time.

I have always had a very vivid imagination, and have devoured many books getting lost in the pages, visualizing each word, as if it were a movie playing in my mind.

Although I have never thought myself a well spoken person, many others have told me I seem to have a way with words. Perhaps it is because I so enjoy writing. I find the very act of writing somewhat freeing and exhilarating. It is one of my absolute favorite hobbies, and something I feel I could easily spend hours doing.

I have often dreamed of writing and publishing a book. I feel that I have a lot of life experience to share, and because of the things I have dealt with in life could easily write about a variety of topics. However, despite a long standing dream, the fear of failure has held me back.

Although I myself enjoy writing, is anything I have to say really all that important? Would others really enjoy reading something written by me? There is a rather large possibility that I could write a book, and not one person would ever even open the cover.

However, I have been thinking more and more that perhaps I should stop letting these fears, and doubts hold me back. So what if no one ever wants to hear what I have to say. If I never try then I can never even have a chance at success.

The more thought and prayer I have put into this idea, the more I feel that writing a book is at least part of my life's purpose. Perhaps, I was born with the desire to write, so that I would be able to reach out to and potentially help others?  I do know that perhaps, I am entirely wrong, and maybe I am setting myself up for epic failure and disappointment.

However, I do firmly believe that my vivid imagination, and love of the written word (both writing and reading them) are blessings I was given for a purpose.

Who knows what tomorrow may hold, maybe you will see my name on a bookshelf in your home soon, and maybe not, but I think I need to put my faith and trust in God to lead me in the direction he wants me to go.

Comments